Are you one of the thousands of online sellers using the Magento Go system? On 1st July 2014 Ebay Inc released a statement announcing that as of 1st February 2015 they will no longer offer their Magento Go service.
Currently Magento Go is a subscription-based service which allows SMEs and owner managed businesses to quickly and simply set up an online store. Magento Go includes a whole range of Magento’s excellent features – as from 1 February 2015 this service will end.
Ebay Inc’s announcement only affects Magento Go users. The Community Edition – which is the platform we suggest and specialise in – and the Enterprise Edition will continue and the intention is to develop these highly successful solutions. With Ebay’s might behind them we have no doubt Magento will continue to be a leader in ecommerce solutions.
In a statement, Mark Lavelle, SVP, Product and Strategy, from eBay Enterprises which owns Magento says: ‘Going forward, we’re focusing our resources on Magento Enterprise Edition and Magento Community Edition, two solutions that better support and better equip small and medium size merchants to prosper in the evolving and increasingly competitive eCommerce landscape.’
SO WHERE DO I (MAGENTO) GO NOW?
We are suggesting a very simple solution for Magento Go users:
Stay with Magento and migrate onto the Community Edition. Community Edition is free-of-charge, a fantastic solution. This makes perfect sense:
- All your store data (products, attribute, categories, orders and customers) are set up for Magento
- Your Magento-compatible design will easily migrate
- From an Admin point of view – you are already used to using Magento’s admin area so you can simply get back on with running your store without having to get used to a new one
- Community Edition, allows you to edit the store and scale-up on command. The Magento marketplace is huge and has an extremely wide range of add-ons for extra functionality and features for your customers.
- You will be working with a tried and tested platform which is used not only by SMEs but also by a variety of large businesses.
- Magento Community Edition is open source – this means there is a huge community of developers to support your website
MIGRATING FROM MAGENTO GO TO MAGENTO COMMUNITY EDITION.
A simple process where we will:
1. Set you up with an independent hosting account on our server or with a hosting company of your choosing
2. Set up your very own Magento Community Edition
3. Migrate your data across
4. Migrate your design and make minor adjustments if needed
5. Update your payment gateway
6. Set your site live
We are here to help and only a phone call away on 01743 219 010 – or do drop us an email if you are worried about this change or would simply like to migrate from your current system to Magento – we will ensure the move is simple and painless.